Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Strategic Writing -- Doctor Dean

From Deborah Dean's Strategic Writing (http://www1.ncte.org/store/books/123373.htm):
See pages 156 though page 159.

"Despite this pleasure I have received my whole life from sentences artfully constructed, I had not really considered sentences as strategies that good writers had access to and inexperienced writers did not. (156)"

Three overriding principles (157):
1. ". . . I have to be engaged. I have to be interested in sentences and what they do and how they work. . . . I have to be the instigator and the example for my students."
2. ". . . this work with sentences shouldn't be about right and wrong but about what effects different structures and patterns have on meaning and on audience."
3. ". . .What we do with sentences has to connect to what students are currently writing. . . . "Now I try to use effective sentences from models of the same genre my students are reading and writing so that structures match in genre, tone, and topic."

Doctor Dean also includes a list of helpful books and articles on pages 158 through 159.

No comments:

Post a Comment