Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Strengthening Sentences: Hypothesis

Strengthening Sentences: Hypothesis

Research suggests that correctly using sentence imitation and sentence combining techniques will help my students improve their writing. Using these techniques wisely and well over time will be worthwhile. As I've studied about these techniques, I've picked up on variations and added activities that could enrich the "study" of how to generate diverse and effective sentences.

Note: More than once in my reading, I found statements, based on research, suggesting that sentence combining/imitation does result in improvement of student writing/sentences -- improvement that is accelerated over that of students in a control group not taught with combining and imitation. Apologetically added to those statements was the admission that the control group caught up with time. (Sources cited to be inserted here.)

That does not discourage me from using these teaching strategies. The sooner my students can feel more comfortable and confident with their writing, the better! I've spent too long working with readers who, because they are behind their peers, develop negative attitudes toward reading and miss out on much of the learning that is otherwise available to them. The development of competency in reading and writing must be a priority for teachers now.

No comments:

Post a Comment